Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Lake District and Scotland


While Tammie was in Zurich, I visited Scotland with my sister. On our drive up we stopped at the Lake District and stayed in a Youth Hostel, which I was most taken with. Bunk beds and bare bones. It was bloody freezing (I wore long sleeves and a hat to bed), but I loved every minute of it.
Our jail cell - they turned the heating off at 10pm
In bed after a fabulous walk and healthy meal, reading JM Coetzee - bliss
                       
Then it was on to Scotland where it was even colder.  Plenty rain, sleet, hail and a bit of snow - ah, the Scottish summer.
The reason we went to Scotland was to scatter my father's ashes. We joined my step mother's ashes with my father's and made a circle on the shore of Loch Rannoch - their favorite place.
 
Circle of love

Spring is sprung and lambs are everywhere
The countryside is just lovely 
We hiked to a waterfall 
and the smallest whiskey distillery: Edradour
A glorious 3 hour walk 

On the drive home we stopped at the Kagyu Samye Ling Tibetan Buddhist Templand meditated inside - wonderful







We ended our trip with a night in Dufton and a brisk walk in the morning on the Penine way - a 268 mile walk through fairy tale like surroundings.







No comments:

Post a Comment